NO MORE DOGS! or CATS.

Thank god this week is over.
Of course it's just the beginning.
But Spring Break always hits hard at the kennel.
I had dogs and cats everywhere.
Friday morning as I was trying to get dogs outside and back in and feed and medicated,
several owners showed up to pick up their dogs early.
One of the receptionists offered to run the dogs up front for me.
She was racing back and forth and I was loading her up with their food and supplies 
and then another receptionist starting paging me.
She had more dogs coming in.
So the receptionist ran back more dogs and it was a mad house.
She finally stopped and looked at me and said
"I have no idea how you are able to do this every day!"
"Neither do I" I replied.

At the end of the day, my kennel worker showed up to take over.
She stated how tired she was of doing "all of this".
She does it four times a week
for 4 hours intervals.
I told her that I was tired too
and that I do it all week for 9 hours shifts.
But I reminded her that at least we worked with animals
and didn't have to deal with people.
She agreed, it was a better situation.
I left out what I was thinking,
That I'm 35 years older than her, so I didn't really want to hear how tired she was.

Yep, I hate to say this but it is REALLY getting to me.
Maybe it's the stressful situation happening here at home right now
that makes me so tired of it all.

I feel like my home has turned in a old dog nursing home.
I mean, I knew this day was coming but
I don't know...
Anyway, the other night as Ruby stood all wobbly at the water bowl,
she fell over
so I stood her back up.
and over she went again,
so I set her back up
and down she went.
I lift her up again and
finally she had her footing.

Later that night, after everyone had been out for their final nightly potty.
Claude just stood at the bottom of the three steps.
Staring at them and then at me.

It was like he needed a running start
and he just couldn't do it.
As I started to go get him, he walked away and circled around
and with great effort, hurled himself up the steps.

The next morning I let everyone outside and then when they were finished, I called them back inside.
Button was pacing back and forth along the fence.
She's totally blind now but usually knows her way around.
But she was confused out there and although I called out to her
she just turned around and listened, not sure where to go.
I went out and picked her up.
I reassured her and her tail was wagging like crazy.

And then there's Rosie.
Older than dirt.

Just two random snaggleteeth left on bottom of her mouth.
She's doing fine
but very quirky.
She has to walk against the walls
or along the furniture to go room from room.
She even squirms under the china hutch to get to the laundry room
rather than walk across the floor, out in the open.
Maybe she's not so dingy after all.
Maybe it's self-preservation.
After all, packs of dogs are known to take out the weakest link.
Although I would never leave her alone with the bigger dogs
where that could be a threat.
but she is very old.

So, I'm tired.
Which is why I recently turned down a Maltese dog.
I love Maltese's.
My first "little" dog, my first small rescue was a 10 yr old Maltese.
and this one is only 9 months old and deaf.
He's a boy dog. So there would be the potential of a leg lifting hassles.
Not all male dogs do that but some do.
But I don't have the energy
I'm trying to share info with them about deaf dog rescue.

So, no more animals are coming home with me.
Which reminds me
I need to do a post about my newest cat
that I got a couple of months ago.